NSA Global

  • Full Screen
  • Wide Screen
  • Narrow Screen
  • increase font size
  • Default font size
  • decrease font size



Bribery, Cover-Up Alleged at Walmart Mexico

Wal-Mart Faces Bribe Reports

BENTONVILLE, Ark. — Wal-Mart Stores here last week said it has created a new position at the company to oversee compliance with U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, following allegations in an extensive New York Times article that the company breached the law during its rapid expansion in Mexico several years ago.

The FCPA prohibits bribes of foreign officials, among other practices.

Eduardo Castro-Wright, who led Wal-Mart’s Mexico operations until early 2005 and later ran the company’s U.S. division, was the “driving force” behind “years of bribery” in which more than $24 million was paid to local officials in Mexico, the article claimed.

In a series of responses, Wal-Mart said it was “deeply concerned” about the allegations and that it had launched an investigation.

“We take compliance with the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act very seriously and are committed to having a strong and effective global anti-corruption program in every country in which we operate,” said David Tovar, vice president of corporate communications, Wal-Mart, in a statement provided to SN. “We will not tolerate noncompliance with FCPA anywhere or at any level of the company.

“Many of the alleged activities in The New York Times article are more than six years old. If these allegations are true, it is not a reflection of who we are or what we stand for.”

Wal-Mart had yet to name someone to fill the new global FCPA compliance officer position as of late last week. The person will have responsibility for compliance with the FCPA in all of Wal-Mart’s markets around the world and will oversee five FCPA compliance directors based in the international markets.

The company warned about an internal investigation into potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act in a quarterly filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Dec. 8, 2011, but did not specify what countries it was investigating.

Reports last week indicated that the investigations could involve some of the Wal-Mart executives who were in place at that time (before 2005). Some of the other executives cited in the Wal-Mart article as being aware of the practices in Mexico included Craig Herkert, who was chief executive officer of Wal-Mart in Latin America and is currently CEO of Supervalu; Michael Duke, who was CEO of Walmart International and is currently CEO of Wal-Mart Stores; and H. Lee Scott, who was CEO at the time and remains on the company’s board.

Walmart Would Spoil Fresh Food Businesses in Harlem, Study Says


By Jeff Mays,
Published December 15, 2011/DNAinfo.com

HARLEM — A Walmart in the heart of Harlem would put 30 to 41 retailers who sell groceries and fresh produce out of business during its first year of operation, a study released Thursday by Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer claimed.

During the second year of operation, an additional 18 to 25 stores would go out of business in a one mile radius, according to the report titled "Food for Thought" which was authored by a Shira Gans, a food and economic development policy analyst in Stringer's office.

The study surveyed 304 food retailers within 10,000 feet of 125th Street and Lenox Avenue and used data from studies of other areas where Walmart has opened stores to calculate the local impact.

A 2009 study from Loyola University in Chicago found that 25 percent of all competing businesses within a mile of a new Walmart went out of business within a year. In the second year, the rate of closure was 40 percent.

Read more...

Page 5 of 8